Corporate Social Responsibility
At Leopold Hotel Sheffiled, we recognise our responsibilities to maintain safety and quality in all our operations. It is our policy to carry out all measures reasonably practicable to meet, exceed or develop all necessary requirements to improve our impact on society.
Our Objectives under CSR:
- Factor environmental sustainability into our everyday business decision-makings. We aim to reduce our carbon footprint by limiting our consumption of raw materials, water and fuels.
- Support the activities of local organisations and businesses, thus ensuring our properties continue to have a positive impact on the community both in day to day operations and in the future.
- Enhance awareness of our responsibilities in our team members, our customers and our local community.
We accept that our activities may impact on the environment and acknowledge our responsibilities in this area. Our objective is to cause as little harm to the environment as possible. This is achieved by adopting the following principles:
- We are committed to compliance with all relevant legislation and associated guidance and strive to reduce pollution to its lowest practicable level.
- We monitor and manage environmental performance in our operations through environmental risk assessments. Operating procedures and controls are developed through this process to reduce any risks to the environment to the lowest level practicable. Reviews of environmental performance are built in to regular health and safety inspections and audits.
- All waste represents an inefficient use of resources and energy. We try to reduce the quantity of waste generated and regularly review routes whereby waste can be eliminated or reduced or recycled.
- The Company promotes the efficient use of energy by its Staff through the use of energy surveys, improved housekeeping, control of processes and the efficient use of service engineer resources.
- Our staff, when planning work will try to keep all potential impacts on the environment such as noise, dust, smells, or fumes to a minimum.
- All wastes will be disposed of responsibly. Our staff will ensure they comply with all the waste disposal requirements.
- The company believes that awareness and knowledge of environmental issues is an important part of the process of effective environmental management. Therefore it is our objective to provide suitable information and training to our employees to ensure they are able to make informed decisions and actions.
Guest Environmental Charter
At Leopold Hotel Sheffield we understand that by making positive choices we can all reduce our impact on the environment. As a guest, we welcome your assistance in making us a sustainable destination.
Please see below some tips on how you can help us in promoting good environmental practices
- Conserve energy – reduce energy by switching off lights & closing windows if heating or air conditioning is on.
- Eat, Buy and see local – support local producers and services. Looking for local suppliers? – Further information can be attained from reception.
- Give cars & cabs a rest – avoid cars for a day. Many local tourist attractions are within walking distance.
- Be water-wise – please use water wisely. Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth and adhere to towel policies.
- Reduce, reuse & recycle – assist us by avoiding extra packaging and say no to extra carrier bags.
We are delighted to be working with Green Tourism and are currently awaiting our grading. Green Tourism promotes sustainable tourism by giving advice to organisations on how to operate in a more sustainable way. They offer advice on:
- Reducing energy use
- Saving water
- Efficient & eco-friendly waste disposal
- Ethical buying
- Staying local & seasonal
- Minimising food miles
- Promoting biodiversity
- Adopting a smart, sustainable outlook from top to bottom
ECOSmart Sustainability Award
We are delighted to have been awarded silver level certification by Greengage’s ECOSmart. ECOsmart is an industry standard accreditation, awarded to hotels and meeting venues that can demonstrate an eco-friendly service approach in five key areas:
- Energy and Water Conservation
- Waste Management & Recycling
- Rooms and Facilities
- Food and Beverage
- Corporate and Social Responsibility
Our Nominated Charity: Beyond the Moon
Beyond the Moon offers families with a seriously ill child the opportunity to enjoy a memorable, cost-free vacation in a child-friendly environment and to spend carefree quality time together, far away from hospitals and treatments.
Leopold Hotel Sheffield has been supporting Beyond the Moon for 14 years and in that time we are delighted to have has raised over €200,000 to send 44 families on the holiday of a lifetime.
When you visit our hotels and apartments, you may notice “Beyond the Moon” donation envelopes in our reception areas and guest rooms. All monies donated go directly to this wonderful charity. Next time you stay at one of our properties, we would be most grateful if you could please spare some change to help this wonderful cause. Every donation counts, no matter how small.
A More Inclusive Environment: Mobility Mojo
We are always working towards a more inclusive environment and take the subject of accessibility for our guests very seriously. We have teamed up with Mobility Mojo, an award-winning company specialised to provide easy to access hotel accessibility information.
Our property websites link to the accessibility rating page, where guests can see the ‘standard of accessibly rating’ which ranges from bronze to platinum. This tool is proving very popular as accessibility is an issue for many people from parents travelling with infants in a pram to someone on crutches or using a walking stick. Not only do we audit the properties for wheelchair accessibility, we also rate areas including voice announcements in lifts, subtitles on TVs and alarm cords in bedrooms for emergency assistance.
Protecting Children: MECPATHS
Human trafficking is a threat to vulnerable children worldwide. According to the most recent global estimate from the International Labour Organisation, close to 21 million people are victims of human trafficking worldwide of which 4.5 million of those victims are trafficked for sexual exploitation. The hotel industry in particular can be seen as offering locations of privacy and can be viewed by traffickers as a place to keep undercover. MECPATHS provide valuable training to hospitality teams to identify the signs of potential trafficking to ensure their guests safety.
We proudly work with MECPATHS in all of our hotels and serviced apartments, enforcing this valuable in-house training. Further to this our HR team provide a training module for all staff on our in-house e-learning software Eureka.
Leading Ireland’s Future Together (LIFT)
We are proudly partnered with LIFT – a non-profit initiative that aims to help positive leadership in Ireland.
Personal development is important to us and our teams, and we believe everyone has the potential for leadership and given the opportunity to nurture this skill. The LIFT’s training concept is based on eight thoroughly researched key leadership values. Leopold Hotel Sheffield have contributed to cover the costs of the initiative within our company, while allowing the LIFT programme to continue into other non-profit organisations.